5 Questions that Your Canadian Immigration Consultant Must Answer

5 Questions that Your Canadian Immigration Consultant Must Answer

If you’re planning to go to Canada, one of the first questions that you should be prepared to answer is why you want to visit the country. Some of Canada’s greatest strengths include great employment opportunities, quality education, excellent healthcare, favorable living conditions, as well as spectacular natural wonders and the great outdoors at your footstep.

As Canada welcomes millions of travellers and thousands of migrants every year, the application process could take weeks or even months to be completed. The long processing times, coupled with complex Canadian immigration laws, often make the process confusing and problematic for most people. However, with the right advice from Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC), your interests will be protected, and you will be guided with expertise throughout the entire process.

Partnering with an RCIC allows assurance that your visa application will be properly managed. But before getting their service, here are a few important questions you should ask first to make sure that you’re in good hands.
  1. Are you legally authorised to provide Canadian immigration advice?
All RCICs must be registered under the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). One way of checking a consultant’s credentials is through running a search on the council’s membership list. If your consultant practices immigration law without registration or if they violate visa policies, you can also use the ICCRC site for filing complaints against them.

       2. What migration company are you with/are you working for? 
Typically, you could get an RCIC’s service through their agency. If someone offers independent services, you can still ask if they work or have worked under a firm. This way, it will be easier to make decisions based on their affiliation history with past clients and solid experience with Canadian immigration laws.
  1.  What is your area of practice with immigration law?
Aside from RCICs, there’s another type of ICCRC-approved professional who is qualified to give you migration advice—a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA). RISIAs, or simply, international student advisors, specialize in study permits and other education-related concerns. You could choose to avail of a RISIA’s service if you’re applying for a student visa. However, if you want a different visa classification, you could always ask your immigration consultant about what they specialize in and see if it matches your needs.
  1. What is your ideal consultation approach?
Along with knowing your consultant’s main field, you should also find out if their consultation practices complement the way you prefer to receive services. Bear in mind that there are free online assessments that could tell if you’re eligible for a visa, so watch out for RCICs who ask for fees for tests that you can get elsewhere for free. Your consultant’s local community and the languages they speak are also worth noting, especially for bilingual countries like Canada. Their knowledge about the city you want to visit can help you fit in with greater ease.
  1. How strictly do you follow CIC guidelines?
Of course, no consultant could practice Canadian immigration law without complying with Department of Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) guidelines. Still, you must be wary of how strict your consultant is when it comes to following the rules. Note that only Canada’s immigration office can issue your visa, so their promises should be limited to managing your application, not guaranteeing the visa. To be sure that you’re going through the right process, compare the activities with the ideal practices and process time posted on the CIC website.

If your consultant answered these questions comfortably, then you’re in good hands.

0 Comment

Leave a Comment.