These are the Three Language Test Providers Authorised by the Canadian Immigration

These are the Three Language Test Providers Authorised by the Canadian Immigration

Like any other country in the world, Canada requires a foreign citizen applying for a Canadian student and work visa to learn its official language first and in Canada’s case, official languages. Canada has two official languages: English and French. The rest of the Canadian provinces are monolingual English areas, save for Quebec whose official language is French. Other regions that have a large population of French speakers are New Brunswick and West Ontario.
The reason why the government requires a foreign citizen a certain level of language proficiency is actually to enable them to communicate not only with the people in their new neighborhood but also with their future colleagues and bosses at work. After all, most immigrant visas offered by the Canadian government lead to obtaining a legal right to find a job in the country. For students, on the other hand, having a complete grasp of both the English and French language is highly important as subjects and courses in schools and universities are taught in these languages.
Indeed, for permanent residency route visas—skilled worker and student visas, for instance—taking and passing a language test is required by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Meeting all the requirements and reaching the essential points compulsory in your visa category will be useless if you failed to pass a language test.
There are two authorized test providers in English. These are the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP).
IELTS is the most popular English language proficiency test for higher education and global immigration. Developed by a group of language experts, it has become widely popular over the globe and accepted by over 9,000 organizations worldwide which comprise schools, universities, employers, governments, private institutions, and other professional bodies.
CELPIP, unlike IELTS, is administered by Canadian firm Paragon Testing Enterprises, a subsidiary of the University of British Columbia. It has a direct partnership with the Canadian government and focuses solely on administering foreign citizens applying for a visa to Canada. It is offered in two versions. These are the CELPIP-General Test and the CELPIP-General LS Test.

The first version, CELPIP-General LS Test, assesses functional listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills and required for Canadian visa holders applying for permanent residency. The CELPIP-General LS Test, which is required for those who are applying for Canadian citizenship.

Test D"evaluation de Français (TEF)—French Assessment Test—are for foreign citizens applying for a visa to any French-speaking province in Canada, especially in Quebec. Other employers from New Brunswick and Ontario may also require their applicant to pass a particular language level in order to be considered for employment. There are also two types for the TEF. The first one is the regular TEF and the second one is the TEFAQ.

TEFAQ, Le Test d’Évaluation de Français pour l’accès au Québec (The French Assessment Test for Access to Québec) is only accepted for Quebec immigration, while the TEF is accepted by both Quebec and federal immigration. Thus, if you’re applying for a visa directly through the federal government immigration system (e.g. Express Entry), you need to take the regular TEF. But if you’re applying through the Quebec Immigration Selection System, you need to take the TEFAC.

Minimum language score requirement
The required language score/level requirement depends on the province, nomination program, visa type, or visa category. However, all test results are converted into Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB), or Niveaux de competence linguistique canadiens (NCLC), levels when submitted to the immigration department. CLB levels run from 4 (poor) to 10 (excellent). Most provinces typically require an applicant to pass at least CLB level 4. CLB Level 4 means that the applicant can understand everyday conversations, answer and ask simple questions, and has a basic understanding of basic grammar.
Ask one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants about language proficiency test. For more updates on Canadian visas & immigration, follow us here.
About Migration Expert:
Migration Expert is the visa & immigration consulting company of choice in Australia, Canada, the UK and the US. Their registered consultants provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law, including family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, citizenship, consular visa processing, waivers. Interested in living, working, studying or traveling to Australia, Canada, the UK or the US? Contact Migration Expert, a widely recognized immigration consulting company. Visit our website at or phone for a consultation with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) at 1.416.488.9500.
Want more useful content about visas, migrating to Canada and other visa-related matters? Subscribe to our newsletter on our website for helpful and timely updates on Canadian immigration.    

0 Comment

Leave a Comment.